The Canadian Nurses Association (CNA) is responsible for the certification of nursing specialties.
For more information about Certification for Nursing Specialties/ Area of Nursing Pratice, click here
History of the PeriAnesthesia Nursing Certification
- In 2009-2010, with the request from its members, the National Association of PeriAnesthesia Nurses of Canada (NAPANc) had actively organized information to submit to the CNA in order to have a Certificate Exam in Perianesthesia Care.
- In May 2010, the Proposal Subcommittee of the Certification Committee completed the proposal document of 37 pages for designation of PeriAnesthesia Nursing as a specialty for certification. The members of the Proposal Subcommittee consisted of Heather Ead, Paula Fergusson and Sandra Robinson from Ontario, and Thao Le from Quebec.
- In June 2010, NAPANc submitted to the CNA, its proposal for designation of PeriAnesthesia Nursing as a specialty for Certification.
- In March 2011, CNA has approved the proposal for Certification for designation of PeriAnesthesia Nursing as a nursing specialty. Letter of confirmation
- QPANA Certification Committee is part of a group of approximately 50 PeriAnesthesia Nurses across Canada to develop the Certification Exam.
The beginning of a reality ...
In October 2012, the Exam Committee began its mandate.
Paula Ferguson and Sandra Robinson (Ontario), Dory Glaser (Alberta), Thao Le (Québec), Laura McNulty (New Brunswick), Evelyn Seip and Laura Van Loon (Saskatchewan), Daphne Whalen-Brake (Newfoundland and Labrador)
In November 2012, the Competency Committee finished its works.
Sonia Boccardi and Thao Le (Québec), Paula Ferguson (Ontario), Lorna Jensen (British Columbia), Sharon Peabody (New Brunswick), Marion Power (Nova Scotia), Evelyn Seip (Saskatchewan), Angela Winter (Alberta)
In 2013, three groups of the Item Writing Committee completed their activities between the week of Feb 25 to March 22.
- Group 1: February 25 - March 1, 2013
Jacqueline Perrault, Marleen Brotzel, and Frankie Verville (Saskatchewan), Fran Coates (Manitoba), Tammy Gallagher and Nela Crisan (Ontario), Karen Whaley (British Columbia), JoAnne Hamilton (Alberta)
- Group 2: March 11 - 15, 2013
Marianne Kampf, Diane Buckley and Keitha Kirkham (Ontario), Jennifer Richmond (British Columbia), Mary Ellen Henneberry and Simone Towle (Nova Scotia), Noreen Todaro (Québec), Louisa Bartlett (Alberta)
- Group 3: March 18-22, 2013
Nancy Rudyk, Catherine Barrow, Robin Wood, and Natasha Butler (Ontario), Diana Lynn Buchanan, and Linda Fritz (Alberta), LaVonne Kolb (Saskatchewan), Branka Stefanac (Northwest Territories)
Thus, the Certification Exam for PeriAnesthesia Nursing becomes a reality in Canada. Click here to read the great news from the CNA's Certification Bulletin.
The first certification exam in perianesthesia care occurred on April 5, 2014.
- Click here for the poster.
- Click here for the names the first certified PeriAnesthesia Nurses from across Canada who sucessfully completed the Canadian Nurses Association's Examination in PeriAnesthesia Nursing (PANC(C)).
Unfortunatly, due to a lak of inscription to the certification exam in preianesthesia, CNA has decided to retire this exam effective November 2019. Certified nurses in perianesthesia can maintain their credential by renewing through continuous learning only. Renewal by exam is no longer offered.